Ash Parish Council
The Parish of Ash, in Surrey, though quite small, is the most heavily populated of the rural parishes within the Borough of Guildford. It covers some four square miles in the extreme west of the Borough extending north to south along the river Blackwater which forms the Hampshire boundary with the towns of Aldershot and Farnborough immediately beyond.
In times past Ash was a very sparsely populated parish on the southern edge of the Windsor Great Forest but in recent years has grown into a continuous residential area with a population that could shortly reach 18,000.
The village of Ash is flanked on the south by Ash Green which reaches to the lower slopes of the Hog’s Back with residential areas extending to the north through Ash Wharf to Ash Vale. The river Blackwater forms a break in the built up areas to the west whilst, on the eastern side are many square miles of open heathland, including Ash Common, which are much used by the army for training purposes, although there is a restricted public access.
Ash is exceptionally well served by rail with no fewer than three stations – Ash, Ash Vale and North Camp – located on different routes. Frequent services run to Aldershot, Guildford, Reading and London (Waterloo) with direct services to Gatwick and to Heathrow via the Woking coach link. By way of a change at Reading, Ash rail travellers have quick access to the Midlands, the north of England and Scotland on inter city routes.
There are a number of historic buildings in Ash, including the 16th/17th century Hartshorn, Ash Manor, Lavender Cottage, Tudor House, Azor Place and Merryworth. St. Peter’s church virtually rebuilt in 1865 still retains Norman, 11th, 13th and 15th century areas of interest including the tiny Norman window in the north aisle.
The parish is well served with leisure facilities for sport and recreation and these in the main are provided by the Ash Parish Council. There are four recreation grounds spread across the area and these provide public tennis courts at Carrington Recreation Ground and a football pitch with changing facilities at Harpers Recreation Ground and a skate board park at Coronation Gardens.
A dual purpose sport centre is situated at the Ash Manor School which is available for the school and general public. The range of facilities there, include indoor tennis courts, and there is an adjacent gymnasium.
One of the most pleasant leisure features of Ash is the recently restored Basingstoke Canal (1794) which meanders through the parish on its way from Basingstoke to join the River Wey Navigation near Byfleet, Surrey, linking it with the inland water network.
The Parish is served by twelve elected parish councillors, representing four separate wards – Ash Wharf, Ash Rowan Field, Ash South and Ash Vale. There are seven separately elected borough councillors to Guildford Borough Council, representing the three Wards and two elected county councillors who serve on Surrey County Council.
This website gives you all the information of services available from the Ash Parish Council, whose aim is to provide a high quality, good value services as efficiently and cost effectively as is possible.
Opening hours of the council offices are – 9.00 a.m. to 4.00 p.m. Monday to Friday.