Ash Parish Council
Ash Chapel Museum
Opening hours - every third Sunday of the month between 2:00pm - 4:30pm
Ash Chapel Museum is now officially open and contains exhibits showing
the history of the Ash local area. For more information visit
Ash Museum Website.
Due mainly to a rising population, overcrowding
in church graveyards became a serious health risk during the mid
19th Century. As a result, in 1853 a Burial Act was passed enabling
local authorities outside London to administer their own cemeteries
with vestries electing their own Burial Boards to manage them.
Approximately 33 years afterwards, on 29 October
1886, Ash Vestry, the forerunners of Ash Parish Council, agreed
that a new Burial Ground should be provided and that day appointed
a 7 member Burial Board. By 31 December 1887 the purchase had been
completed, at a cost of £152, of a field near St Peter’s
Church, covering 1 acre 2 rods and 4 perches. By agreement at the
June 1913 annual parish meeting, a further plot of land covering
4 acres 2 rods 19 perches was purchased for £225.
The estimate for providing and laying out the burial ground
and building a Chapel on the site came to £970, including
£360 for building the Chapel. Having submitted the lowest
tender of £540, Tompsett and Kingham were appointed to carry
out the construction of the Chapel using Bath Stone in preference
to more expensively quoted Portland Stone.
The Chapel, approximately 25’ 2” long
by 14’ 1” wide, has a high pitched tiled roof and a
large wooden south doorway. Inside are believed to be several of
the original furnishings such as the pulpit, the vestments cupboard,
organ which is still in working condition and evidence of pews being
fixed to the west wall.